Is There Any Truly Free Piano Sheet Music Out There?
Yes, there really is free piano sheet music out there, and it really is free and legal – you just have to know where to look. We’ve done quite a bit of research and found some of the best free piano sheet music collections available on the internet today. But there is one thing you should know…
There are some excellent sources for piano music that are truly free, and there are a few – while they are still excellent collections – that charge a small fee to access the collection. However, the fee is very small relative to the amount of music you can download, and it basically helps to keep the collection updated and the website operation staffed.
Virtually all of the music in these collections is free from copyright restrictions, meaning you can often copy and redistribute it. However, you should still be careful, since some of the collections – especially the paid ones – may restrict you from redistributing the music, and will most probably prohibit you from reselling the sheet music to someone else. After all, doing so basically would put them out of business in the long run, and that would be bad for everyone, right?
The Best Sources For Free Piano Sheet Music
So, without further adieu, here’s our core list of free piano sheet music resources, with notes (text and music!) on each one:
Duke University Library List of Sheet Music Collections
- A fantastic resource and a great place to start when searching for free sheet music.
Zebra Keys Free Sheet Music
- A nice list of free, public domain MIDI and PDF sheet music. You'll find some great old standard tunes here.
The Mutopia Project
- The Mutopia Project offers sheet music editions of classical music for free download. These are based on editions in the public domain, and include works by Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Handel, Mozart, and many others. They also host a growing number of modern editions, arrangements and new music. The respective editors, arrangers and composers have chosen to make these works freely available. (Description from the Mutopia Project website)
Gutenberg: The Sheet Music Project
- Project Gutenberg volunteers have been engaging in digitizing public domain sheet music, using a variety of techniques, to enable study and performance. For the most part, the musical pieces created have been chamber music, with composers such as Brahms and Beethoven. (Description from the Project Gutenberg website)
Free Sheet Music Library
- Free orchestra works, chamber music, organ works, sacred music, and piano works (for 2 and 4 hands) by a few classical composers. All the files are derived from public domain music in editions that are in the public domain. So you may freely copy, print, distribute the files. (Description from Free Sheet Music Library website)
Musicorum List of Free Sheet Music Resources
- An eclectic list of free music resources. Some of these resources have already been listed above. "These sites offer you free music scores to download but the law is different from each country and especially in USA where only works published prior to 1923 are in the public domain." (From the Musicorum website)
Return from Free Piano Sheet Music to Piano Sheet Music
Return from Free Piano Sheet Music to All About Pianos